UV Protection (Sun Smart) Policy
Slip Slop Slap Seek Slide
Slip on a shirt
Slop on sunscreen
Slap on a hat
Slide on sunglasses
Download the free SunSmart Mobile App
- Sun protection times – Lets you know when you do and don’t need sun protection for any location in Australia.
- 7 day weather forecast – Check the weather for the week ahead.
- Alert function – Personalise the alert function to remind you of the daily sun protection times.
- Vitamin D tracker – Find out if you are getting enough UV exposure for vitamin D.
- Sunscreen calculator – Find out if you are using enough sunscreen.
- Check out the UV Alerts on our Home Page
SunSmart can help sports clubs to develop and promote a sun protection policy. To create your own UV protection policy, download the sample SunSmart Sports Policy.
A good UV policy should include:
- provide or encourage participants and officials to wear sun protective clothing as part of the team uniform and during training sessions
- promote the use of SPF 30 or higher broad spectrum, water resistant sunscreen. If possible, some clubs may even consider having a supply on site
- run information sessions for club members and coaches about skin cancer and sun protection.
- promote and use the SunSmart UV Alert by adding the widget onto the club’s website or ordering an outdoor facilities SunSmart sign
- schedule training times, competitions and outdoor events outside the daily sun protection times when possible – especially those scheduled for the middle of the day
- promote sun protection during the course of the event or game
- plan and provide shade and encourage players and spectators to take advantage of shade from buildings and trees.
- encourage players and spectators to come to events with sunscreen, clothing, shade, hats and sunglasses
- encourage club ‘sports stars’, coaches and club officials to be sun protection role models.